Thursday, October 22, 2009

Transportation: S-Trains

The main ‘subway’ system in Copenhagen is called the S-Tog (or S-Train) system, and is basically like the metro/light-rail/subway you would find in any other city. Although most of the trains run exclusively above-ground, they are the primary public mode of transportation used by everyday Danes and commuters. There is also an underground train system called the metro, but I will reserve discussion on that for a later post. There are seven different lines, each with a number and color, which run from the north, west, and south of Copenhagen into the city center.

While all of this is pretty standard for a modern European city, what I find most interesting is the culture of the trains, and the public transportation system in general. One of the first things I heard about the trains is that people don’t talk on them. I assumed they would be pretty quite, but once I got here, I found out it is really true. In Denver, the trains are pretty quite when there is no one on them. But when they are full, they can be pretty loud. Here, during the daytime, especially during the peak commuting hours, the trains are practically dead silent, even when they are packed with people. I will admit that sometimes, especially when some of the teens are on their way home from a night of drinking, it can be pretty loud. But I would have to say, in general, they are not. It is actually somewhat unsettling. I usually put on my iPod so that it doesn’t bother me. Its hard to describe the feeling really, but if you ever actually experience it, I think you will understand what I mean.

Some other interesting details...You can take a bike, and a dog, but it costs a little extra. It is also tolerated for you to be drinking on the trains. It is actually somewhat sad to see old men having a beer at ten in the morning, but no one seems to mind.

Here are some photos I have taken of the S-Trains, so you know how nice they are.