Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oxford

On my last full day in England, I decided to visit the city of Oxford, which is best known for its University. It is one of the oldest universities in the world, known to have existed in some form in the year 1096 CE. It is made up of 38 Colleges, each with its own history, cathedral/chapel, and residential and dining halls. Some of the more famous include Christ Church, Corpus Christi, and Magdalen. It is an amazing complex of incredible buildings and history.

The town itself is also very old, and was first occupied in Saxon times. It has many old buildings not associated with the university, as well as great museums and other cultural attractions. I had a great time visiting Oxford, and I am very jealous of my friends who have studied there, if for no other reason that it is extremely beautiful, and has so much history.