Friday, January 8, 2010

"There’s No Place Like London"

I have officially started my second short holiday of the winter season, this time in London, England. I was in Berlin, Germany last week with my parents, and I will be posting photos from that trip just as soon as I am back in Denmark. For now, I would like to keep you all filled in on my trip here in England. I will try to write as often as I can, but if I don’t, I will post everything at the end of the trip, next Friday.

This is the first time since august since I have been in a country where the ‘official’ language is English. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it, and now that I am here, I still don’t. In fact, I’ve heard very little of the ‘Queen’s English’ since I got here. Sure, all of the signs are in English first, but still multiculturalism is all around me. When I arrived, I waited in the customs line with a group of Mandarin-speaking Chinese tourists. On the train, I was next to a group of Turks. I went out to what I thought was an Italian café for dinner, only to find the television was playing Croatian News and it is frequented by Frenchmen and Russians (or other Slavic-speakers, I wasn’t exactly sure). It is absolutely incredible how many different languages you hear here in London, and this has only been the first few hours.

I have also learned that you have to look the other way when crossing the street, as they drive on the left side of the road here. Somehow I forgot that in all the confusion of arriving in a city of over seven million people (more than ALL of Denmark). Thankfully however, in my neighborhood, instructions to look left or right are painted on the sidewalks, so I was saved from making any mistakes.

I’ll keep this blog short at I am planning on getting an early start to my sightseeing tomorrow morning. I will be sure to fill you all in on my adventures here just as soon as I can. Thankfully, I have wireless at my hotel, so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Until then…Cheers!